The Pennsylvania State Grange was organized in September 1873, and has a proud history of accomplishment over nearly 150 years of service. The State Grange History Committee is committed to both preserving important records of the organization and making that historical information more readily accessible to interested readers, both members of the organization and visitors to this website. In the coming months, we will be posting a much more information to this page.
The Grange spark came to Pennsylvania sometime in 1870 when Luke Eger, a farmer near Williamsport in Lycoming County, read about the fledgling organization and its rapid growth in some parts of the country. Within a year, Eger generated enough interest among his neighbors in Montgomery and Elimsport to form the first local Grange in the state. Eagle Grange #1, so named because of its location at the foot of Bald Eagle Mountain, was officially founded March 4, 1871. The Grange met in members' home and the Pine Street School until a quarter acre of land was purchased from Luke Eger in 1887 to build a two-story hall (shown at right). The location in Clinton Township was beside the Pine Street School at what is now the intersection of Blind Road and the western side of Route 15. The building remained there until the summer of 1940 when construction of the newly expand highway required Eagle Grange to move the building directly across the road to its current location on the eastern side of Route 15.
- Original application dated 2/1871 to form a Grange at Montgomery, PA
- Eagle Grange Information found on Wikopedia
- Photo of Luke Eger, founder & first Master of Eagle Grange #1, and Mrs. Hannah Eger
- Microfilmed records (Manuscript Group-493) preserved at PA State Archives in Harrisburg
Account Book, 1902-1911. (1 microfilm roll, #7295 partial)
Attendance Record, 1890-1894. (1 microfilm roll, #7295 partial)
Grange Lecturer Program Materials, 1951-1957. (1 microfilm roll, #7295 partial)
List of Officers, undated. (1 microfilm roll, #7295 partial)
Literary Programs, 1896-1899. (1 microfilm roll, #7295 partial)
Minute Books, 1871-1906, 1911-1995. (4 microfilm rolls, #7292-7295)
Roll Book, 1874-1907. (1 microfilm roll, #7295 partial)
LYCOMING COUNTY #307 EAGLE JUVENILE GRANGE
Minute Books, 1945-1967. (1 microfilm roll, #7295 partial)
Since that first Grange started in 1871, a total of 2,110 local community (Subordinate) Granges have been organized in the state of Pennsylvania. Grange numbers are assigned within each state by the National Grange chronologically by date of organization and a charter is issued to the local chapter. Many of Pennsylvania's local Granges continue to be active in their respective communities today, while others have disbanded, been declared dormant or consolidated with or into other local Granges.
Much more historical information may be found on the following pages:
- Listing of Pennsylvania Granges
- Historical Highlights by Terms of State Grange Masters/Presidents
- Brief History Slide Program
Future additions to this site will include digitized and indexed copies of the annual Journals of Proceedings, newsletters and other publications.
For a brief background about the organization and history of The National Grange, click on http://www.pagrange.org/our-history.html.